Current:Home > InvestOrganizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack -WealthTrail Solutions
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-04 23:29:25
VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on Wednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.
Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.
Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.
The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.
The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had be en minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said after the cancelation that the country’s police and intelligence service had “contributed everything to ensure safe events” and that the organizer made the decision to cancel the concerts, APA reported. He said there had been “close networking with foreign security authorities.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Swift fans took to social media to express their devastation at missing out on one of the superstar’s shows. Some who posted on social network X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported last year that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the U.K. in recent years.
veryGood! (498)
Related
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- 12.3 million: Iowa’s victory over LSU is the most-watched women’s college basketball game on record
- Kim Mulkey to Caitlin Clark after Iowa topped LSU: 'I sure am glad you're leaving'
- Biden campaign releases ad attacking Trump over abortion
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Iran vows deadly suspected Israeli airstrike on its consulate in Damascus will not go unanswered
- Yellowstone Actor Mo Brings Plenty’s Nephew Missing: Costar Cole Hauser and More Ask for Help
- LSU’s Angel Reese Tears Up While Detailing Death Threats During Post-Game Conference
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Lena Dunham Reveals She’s Related to Larry David
Ranking
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Tesla sales drop as competition in the electric vehicle market heats up
- Here's how much Americans say they need to retire — and it's 53% higher than four years ago
- 'Unknown substance' found at Tennessee Walmart Distribution Center, 12 treated for nausea
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- George Carlin estate settles with podcasters over fake comedy special purportedly generated by AI
- Costco offers eligible members access to GLP-1 weight-loss drugs
- Hard landing kills skydiver at Florida airport for the second time in less than 2 years
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Business leaders call for immigrant worker protection in wake of Baltimore bridge tragedy
A new election law battle is brewing in Georgia, this time over voter challenges
Police find nearly 200 fentanyl pills hidden in Easter eggs, Alabama man arrested
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Brittany Cartwright Addresses Rumor Her and Jax Taylor's Breakup Is a Publicity Stunt
Police release name of man accused of ramming vehicle into front gate of FBI Atlanta office
Tori Spelling Shares How Her Kids Feel Amid Dean McDermott Divorce